Hudson Taylor, the great man of God and missionary statesman, lists the following as the missionary’s equipment:
1. A life yielded to God, controlled by His Spirit.
2. A restful trust in God for the supply of all needs.
3. A sympathetic spirit and willingness to take a lowly place.
4. Tact in dealing with men and adaptability toward circumstances.
5. Zeal in service and steadfastness in discouragements.
6. Love for communion with God and for the study of His Word.
7. Some experience and blessing in the Lord’s work at home.
8. A healthy body and a vigorous mind.
George W. Peters, A Biblical Theology of Missions (Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1972), 297–298.